The History of Utengule Coffee
Utengule Estates own prime location beach plots at the north end of Lake Nyasa (Lake Malawi). In 2022 we will construct a four-bedroom recreational building, ideal for short- and long-term rentals.
Lake Nyasa Beach
The coffee house building originates from 1895, is at the centre of Zanzibar stone town and was purchased in 1989. In the following years, it was rented out to several companies until we launched the project in 2002 and opened the Zanzibar Coffee House in 2005. The house contains a small coffee roasting facility, an authentic café, eight rooms and suites, plus a rooftop with a 360° view over stone town.
Zanzibar Coffee House
This strategic activity falls under Utengule Coffee Estate Ltd. Its purpose is to supply fine retail coffee products to the discerning coffee drinkers in Tanzania and supply the hotel, restaurant and café industry on mainland Tanzania and Zanzibar with roasted coffee, brewing equipment and associated services.
Our coffee lodge is located on the coffee estate with an exciting view over the great Rift Valley. It contains 16 rooms and suites, seven 3- and 4-bedroom bungalows, a bar and restaurant, a swimming pool, tennis, squash and volleyball courts, a conference facility and a helicopter landing pad.
Utengule Coffee Lodge
The farm covers an area of roughly 300 hectares. Our coffee grows on an area of about 130 hectares in four different farm sections. The coffee quality is of the highest standards and is amongst the highest quality coffees produced worldwide. The farm consists of coffee fields, biosphere zones, rivers, farm buildings, stores, offices, modern water-saving, processing machinery, workshop, tractors, transport vehicles, management and employee housing.
Utengule Coffee Estate
Coffee cultivation on Utengule started in 1919, but it was not until 1934 that a coffee company was founded and registered by the Swiss family Weiss. From that moment onwards, the growing area expanded rapidly as coffee quickly found its recognition by roasters in Europe. In December 1986, Hans Fässler and his family bought the plantation from the Weiss family and continued to grow and modernize the farm to this day.